Manager of Legal Services
Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation (NALSC) is seeking a highly motivated individual to take on the position of Manager of Legal Services. The Manager of Legal Services is based in Thunder Bay and is responsible for overseeing the Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation’s (NALSC) Legal Aid (LA) administrative operations to fulfilling the organizations mandate to vision, mission, values, and the strategic plan.
Primary Job Duties include:
- Oversee the daily operations of the Legal Aid (LA) department and delivery of legal services in NAN.
- Oversee the work of LA staff to ensure compliance with Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with NALSC programs and LAO to promote the delivery of programs in NAN.
- Ensure compliance of LAO policy and procedures and participate in LAO training as required.
- Review NALSC/LAO budget with Executive Director and Finance to plan yearly budgeting.
- Represent NALSC as delegated in working collaboratively with NAN communities, government partners, funders, and agency counterparts to promote NALSC’s mandate to vision, mission & values.
- Provide day-to-day supervision Gladue, PLE, and Staff Lawyer programs.
- Attend all committees assigned to the Manager of Legal Services role.
- Must be a lawyer, called to the Bar in Ontario, with a minimum of 5 years relevant experiences in criminal, family, poverty law, aboriginal law and administrative matters and understanding of indigenous law and justice.
- Must have knowledge of legal systems, board governance, public policy, service-delivery, and Indigenous cultural competency is required.
- Must have excellent leadership and management skills.
- Ability to effectively negotiate, collaborate and network with third parties.
- Good understanding of not-for-profit board governance and distinction to managerial duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to communicate in Anishnawbe language will be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of government funding and reporting requirements.
- Must be able to provide a clear criminal records check.
Closing date: May 28, 2021
Post your job ad here!
If you would like to post a job advertisement, please contact Helen at email@example.com – thank you!
Post your job advertisement here!
If your firm is interested in posting a job opportunity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Picture yourself here
Thunder Bay, Superior by Nature