Henderson Family Law seeking Permanent, Full-Time Family Law Lawyer/Associate (Thunder Bay, Ontario)
Henderson Family Law is an established, multi-lawyer law firm in Thunder Bay, Ontario that focuses on family law. We are looking to add a junior lawyer to our growing firm to practise in all areas of family law. The position is permanent and full-time, and would start as soon as possible, with a flexible start date.
• The ideal candidate will have 2 to 5 years of experience practising family law, but new calls or related experience will be considered;
• A passion for family law;
• Strong drafting, negotiation, and organizational skills;
• Ability to manage client files with minimal supervision;
• Excellent time management skills with the ability to handle multiple priorities;
• Demonstrated attention to detail and a commitment to client service;
• Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario; and
• A connection to Thunder Bay or Northwestern Ontario and a passion for the beauty of our region and all that its lifestyle has to offer.
Henderson Family Law offers an excellent working environment. This position provides exciting opportunities for career progression and will be well-suited to an ambitious individual looking to take on new challenges in a dynamic environment. The successful candidate will join a strong team as part of our collaborative approach to providing legal services to our established client base. Compensation is competitive and based on experience. We welcome all applications, however, only those candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are held in strict confidence.
Interested applicants should forward their cover letter and resume to:
Legal Worker position at Kinna-aweya Legal Clinic
Kinna-aweya Legal Clinic provides legal advice and assistance to residents of the District of Thunder Bay, particularly Indigenous people, who need assistance with poverty law issues.
Kinna-aweya Legal Clinic is seeking a legal worker to manage a caseload in poverty law, participate in the intake rotation, provide legal advice and information, formal and informal advocacy, represent clients before administrative tribunals, participate in community development and law reform projects, and provide public legal education.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
- Intake and summary advice
- Managing a caseload in poverty law – income maintenance (OW, ODSP, EI, CCB, CPP-D) and tenancy law
- Informal advocacy (phone calls, letter writing)
- Appearances before administrative tribunals – particularly Social Benefits Tribunal and Landlord & Tenant Board Tribunal
- Public legal education, outreach, community development and law reform
- Occasional overnight travel within the district and the province
- General administration and other duties as required
- Degree or diploma in the humanities or social sciences
- Additional certification as a licensee of the Law Society of Ontario preferred
- Relevant experience
- Familiarity with relevant acts and regulations (Residential Tenancies Act, Ontario Disability Support Program Act, Ontario Works Act)
- Effective advocacy skills
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving ability
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Knowledge of community resources
- Lived experience/competency with respect to Indigenous culture and issues
- Excellent computer (MS Office products) and information management (MS CRM) skills
- A valid driver’s license would be helpful
- Some overnight travel may be required
We offer a competitive salary and benefits. Interested candidates are asked to submit their resume and a cover letter to:
Kinna-aweya Legal Clinic
86 S. Cumberland Street, Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 2V3
Fax (807) 345-2842
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Required subject line: Legal Worker Application DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 5 p.m., Friday, February 19, 2021
pdf version of job advertisement
Post your job advertisement here!
If your firm is interested in posting a job opportunity, please email email@example.com.
Picture yourself here
Thunder Bay, Superior by Nature