Johansen Law Office
Seeking Litigation Lawyer
Johansen Law Firm is a boutique commercial litigation law firm. We are seeking an ambitious, personable and entrepreneurial commercial litigation lawyer to join the firm. The ideal candidate would have 2 – 5 years of active litigation experience including:
- Presenting motions/applications
- Conducting trials/mediations/examinations for discovery
In addition, candidates must possess the following qualities:
- Well organized with the ability to manage multiple files in various stages of litigation;
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Excellent technical and problem solving skills
- Strong legal research skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to identify the most effective file strategy and manage complex client files with minimal senior supervision
- A demonstrated commitment to client service
- A desire to participate in business development opportunities
- The ability to work well with others in a group setting
Interested candidates, please submit your resume with law school transcripts and any other relevant documents to Rod Johansen at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Thunder Bay Police Service
Thunder Bay Police Service is seeking applications for the permanent position of Legal Counsel to the Office of the Chief of Police.
Thunder Bay Police Service is comprised of approximately 220 officers, and 102 civilians who are dedicated to serving the diverse community of over 115,000 residents of the city of Thunder Bay and the municipality of Oliver-Paipoonge, Ontario.
Summary of Functional Competencies:
Specific responsibilities shall include but not limited to:
- Identify legal issues as they directly affect the TBPS, ensuring that senior administration are aware of the issues and provide the appropriate course of action;
- Identify issues and concerns on various aspects of criminal or quasi-criminal matters on behalf of the TBPS;
- Address the impact of new legislation as it affects efficiency, performance and training required by police officers;
- Assist with the overall effective implementation of risk management strategies for the TBPS;
- Provide legal advice on matters impacting TBPS, police officers, managers and command officers in a timely manner and represent and defend the interests and positions of the TBPS;
- Provide legal representation as directed, in situations involving inquests, discipline issues, labor relations matters and other legal processes where the TBPS are involved;
- Assist and advise the Professional Standards Branch and the Chief of Police with regard to disciplinary issues involving members;
- Oversee intake, processing and response to requests pursuant to MFIPPA and FOI requests;
- Must possess a law degree and be a member in good standing with the LSUC
- A minimum of 5 years related experience and specifically in relation to:
- General experience with police legal matters and specific experience in Police Service Act (PSA);
- Experience in complex FOI matters, dealing with MFIPPA and FOI requests in the police context and knowledge of all privacy laws of Ontario and Canada;
- Extensive knowledge of the Criminal Code and other laws specific to the Policing sector;
- Experience in the general area of labour and employment matters, including but not limited to policy development, collective bargaining and involvement in grievances;
- Experience with Human Rights matters and familiarity with human rights tribunal process.
- Demonstrated ability to provide sound advice and direction to the Chief of Police, senior management and police staff,
- Must possess superior negotiation skills with the ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Must undergo a successful police records check
Salary : $137,083.18 to $141,979.01 (Senior Officers Association – 2018)
Deadline for Applications: Monday, December 11th, 2017
Start Date: Mid-Late January 2018
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume detailing their qualifications and experience to the attention of Mr. Hugh Ingram, Director of Human Resources, 1200 Balmoral Street, Thunder Bay, ON, P7B 5Z5 or electronically at email@example.com
Please note that there are no provisions for relocating/moving costs attached to this job posting.
If your firm is interested in posting a job opportunity, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Picture yourself here
Thunder Bay, Superior by Nature